For many years people have used artwork, posters, and photographs in their homes or offices as a way to express who they are and what they like. Imagine: you just received your final edits from your photographer for your wedding photos. With all that excitement you rush to the store to print them out, and what happens next? You buy a frame so that you can display it. Same goes for art prints and posters. You find that special piece that you just HAVE TO HAVE in your home and buy it online. But, how will you display it? What will you do to showcase the artwork? Do you buy a frame to encompass your new found masterpiece? Well, sure. If you want to be like so many other people. What if you stepped out of the box and tried something new? Enter wooden magnetic frames.
There are numerous ways you can showcase your special pieces but I want to share with you one specific idea: DIY Wooden Magnetic “frames”.
Not only do Wooden Magnetic frames make your pieces stand out but they’re also one of the most affordable. In my opinion, they’re also a super adorable way to showcase that silly self-portrait your nephew drew for you. Or, that photo of you and your husband saying “I do”. Or, that inspirational quote that helps you get out of bed in the morning.
My hope is that this article will give you everything you need to make one of these awesome frames at home. And at just 10 minutes, this project is well worth the time it takes to build the frame. Not to mention all the bragging rights you will get from your friends and family.
So let’s get started!
Pick Your Poison
You can’t build a frame without knowing exactly what it is you want to frame. Our first step to this DIY project is to figure out what it is you want to display. Once you’ve found that perfect art print, you can pick your size and purchase your piece.
Now that we know exactly what it is we are “framing” AND the dimensions of our poster, we can officially start our project.
Gather Your Gear
Now that we have our dimensions for the wooden frame figured out, let’s begin gathering all the tools and materials needed to get started on our fun DIY project. Here is a list of everything you’ll need to create this wooden magnetic frame.
- 4 Thin scrap pieces of wood (wider and thicker than your magnets)
- Rubber magnetic craft strips
- Nail or Sticky wall hook
Do The Deed
After you’ve gathered the very little supplies you need, it’s time to get to work!
- To get started, gather your four strips of wood. You can find the exact stain and style of wooden strips you want from your local hardware store and they will even trim them down for you to the correct size.
- Now that you have the strips of wood in front of you, you will want to grab your rubber magnetic strips along with your scissors.
- Cut the four magnetic strips to the full length of the wood piece, then take each magnet and stick one strip on the back of each piece of wood.
- Grab the string and cut a nice long piece. Tie the string to each side of one of the pieces of wood. Make sure it is secure with a strong knot.
- Line your printed piece up in-between your wooden strips and clamp together.
BaBAM! You have an art piece to display in a badass hanging wooden frame. Don’t forget those bragging rights. Yeah, you made that!